Sunday, October 27, 2013

Why Swarthmore?



Why Swarthmore?                                                                                Paul Fischer
              I am looking for a school with intellectually curious peers and available,  knowledgeable faculty who hold similar values. Swarthmore's traditions of  academic rigor and political engagement make it ideal for me.
              My experience volunteering for Obama's Campaign for Change in North Carolina not only taught me the importance of well prepared pitches, but also of listening. I have noted that at Swarthmore, the administration has shown that it is willing to listen. The fact that many important choices bubble up through groundswells of support speak to that fact. The decision to end all contracts with the mega-corporation, Coca-Cola, is an example of how Swarthmore values and listens to the political voice of its students. As a member of the student body, I see myself contributing to that voice.
              In the Vermont State Legislature, where I was honored to be chosen to serve as the page from Burlington, I saw firsthand how powerful interests attempt to exercise power and disenfranchise the average constituent. This cowardly approach to solving the problems that face our state ultimately caused great harm to the legislative process by limiting conflicting viewpoints. As a result of this system, small farms in Vermont lost out to big agriculture. Most of Vermont's crop is today contaminated with GMO's as a result of the bills passed while I sat in the house.  Unfortunately, small farmers can now be unfairly held liable for  inadvertent cross contamination. In addition, of course, we become more limited in our choice of eating non-GMO local Vermont food products.
              Using the skills of continuing to listen and remaining open to many voices and ideas, I hope one day, to help effect real change in Washington (or perhaps Brussels). With that goal in mind, right now, I can teach others the power of politics and help them take advantage of their rights. In the ninth grade, I drew up a comprehensive, highly interactive lesson plan and delivered a series of talks, explaining the United Nations and demonstrating consensus building, to our local elementary school, Champlain Elementary.  Students learned not only to discuss and compromise with each other about a “hot” topic (school lunches), but also to draw up their thoughts in an intelligent letter. Although initially reluctant to allow me to do the project (it didn’t fit into preparation for the coming standardized tests), ultimately my high school and the Champlain administration were supportive of this work and I and another high school student I recruited to help me were written up in the newsletter.
              This year I have given speeches to English classes in four different grades at the German gymnasium I attend in Baden-Baden, Germany (home to my father). In these presentations, I explained the American political and educational system. As I fielded questions in German and English, it was important to listen, respond, and defend my views while being respectful of the others' viewpoint. I enjoyed having the opportunity to provide an American perspective to German nationals.
              I believe, that by listening to many opposing viewpoints, and considering each equally, long-term success can be found in a way that doesn't disenfranchise the small person. At Swarthmore, the rigorous course load and intellectually challenging environment will prepare me well for my chosen profession, public service. In non-academic ways as well, I feel sure my peers and professors at Swarthmore will challenge me to self-actualize. For me, it is important not to forget one's civic duty in the quest for success and I hope, through public service, to work to uphold values that both Americans and Global Citizens hold dear; armed with a Swarthmore education, I can surely further these personal goals and hopefully serve the best interests of our country.
And that is my goal in applying to Swarthmore.




No comments:

Post a Comment